Moai on Easter Island

Moai on Easter Island

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Month 1 in Antarctica

I've already been down here for a month.  Every day I walk outside and feel like it is my first day here. Other moments I feel like I have been here forever.



If there was ever a place to go and escape, this is it.  It is way to easy to become engulfed in the landscape, the people and the experience of being here.  I don't feel like I miss trees and vegetation until I look at photos of them and a sense of longing comes briefly comes back.  I feel more content here than I have felt in one place for a long time.  I even wonder what it would be like to spend a cold dark winter here.



Every day is a new adventure.  The people I work with and teach are always amazing.  There really isn't much of anything that I would rather be doing right now.



But, this place also goes against so many things that I believe in.  The amount of fossil fuels that this place uses is beyond comparison.  I can't begin to comprehend the millions of gallons of fuels burned each here to keep things running around here.  But I have to accept that this is the way things work around here.


No comments:

Post a Comment