Moai on Easter Island

Moai on Easter Island

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Years from Antarctica

Well the world didn’t end on the 21st.  I guess it was because no one could decide on the actual time it was supposed to happen.  Was it supposed to be 12:00am on the 21st or some random time during the day or at 11:59pm?  If there were such a consensus on that surely nothing would exist right now. 

McMurdo from a helicopter
ince the new year came here in Antarctica three quarters of a day sooner than it did back in the States I want to throw out an early happy new years to everyone back home.  Unlike last year I’m not drinking champagne down by the river in Missoula with KT and Lanie, trying to figure out if it is actually the new year yet and yelling out in joy when the UM clock chimed 12 times.   I’m looking out my window right now at a stage being set up for a big line-up of local bands for tonight.  New years was celebrated with the IceStock music festival.  I never thought I'd be wearing sunglasses for a new years countdown. 

McMurdo & Mt Erebus from a helicopter


Since the new year came here in Antarctica three quarters of a day sooner than it did back in the States I want to throw out an early happy new years to everyone back home.  Unlike last year I’m not drinking champagne down by the river in Missoula with KT and Lanie, trying to figure out if it is actually the new year yet and yelling out in joy when the UM clock chimed 12 times.   I’m looking out my window right now at a stage being set up for a big line-up of local bands for tonight.  New years was celebrated with the Icestock music festival.  I never thought I'd be wearing sunglasses for a new years countdown.

The beginning of Icestock from my dorm window
Just another new experience in this town that I’m staying in for a year.  Yes, a whole year!  I know that’s going to really surprise some people that I’m staying in one place for so long.  But it won’t surprise others that I chose such a strange place to make my home for these 12 months.


Tomorrow morning I get on a ski equipped C-130 and fly to the South Pole for a few weeks.  I'm trading in the warm and melting sea ice for freezing cold temps and completely flat white views.  Off to the bottom of the world...

No comments:

Post a Comment