Moai on Easter Island

Moai on Easter Island

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

What Happens When I go Through Old Photos Part 2: Alaska

Most of these photos speak for themselves.  The Alaska Range (forever one of my favorite places) photos are taken on trips that I've guided on Denali or courses I've taught in other parts of the range.  During my second summer up there I had a month off between trips and traveled down to Seward to escape Anchorage and got to try out sea kayaking and had one of the more amazing days of my life.

Looking down the Kahiltna Glacier after a recent storm in early May.  
Clouds roll over the Alaska Range from the west as seen from camp at 17,000 feet on Denali.
My first sea kayaking trip was through Aialik Bay on the Kenai Peninsula.
It is days like these where I wonder if I truly appreciated that day as much as I could have.  Years later the impact of seeing things like this is still setting in.
Traveling through a whiteout on the Ruth Glacier in the Alaska Range.  I hate traveling in whiteout conditions and avoid it whenever I can.  Later in the day we camped in these same conditions and could hear avalanches coming down the mountains all around us.
The train ride from Seward to Anchorage was one of the most scenic trips I've been on.
Working our way up the fixed lines on Denali.
The Ridge up to high camp on Denali.  
The Pika Glacier in the Alaska Range.  This was part of a 12-day mountaineering course I taught a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment